We are interested in morality as something more than peoples’ subjective judgments of good and bad, right and wrong. Thus, we focus on specific moral traits and behavior, especially honesty and trustworthiness. And, we have a keen interest in how people experience moral failure in ways that either promote or prevent improvement of themselves and their social relations.
- Leach, C.W., Bilali, R., Pagliaro, S. (in press). Groups and Morality. In J.F. Dovidio & J. Simpson (Eds.) APA Handbook of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 2: Group and Intergroup Processes (pp.123-149). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Brambilla, M. & Leach, C.W. (in press). On the Importance of Being Moral: The Distinctive Role of Morality in Social Judgment. Social Cognition.
- Leach, C.W., Bou Zeineddine, F., & Čehajić-Clancy, S. (2013). Moral immemorial: The rarity of self-criticism for previous generations’ genocide and mass violence. Journal of Social Issues, 69, 34-53.
- Gausel, N., Leach, C.W., Vignoles, V.L.& Brown, R.J. (2012). Defend or repair? Explaining responses to in-group moral failure by disentangling feelings of shame, rejection, and inferiority. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 102, 941-960.
- Gausel, N. & Leach, C.W. (2011). Concern for self-image and social-image in the management of moral failure: Rethinking shame. European Journal of Social Psychology, 41, 468-478.
- Pagliaro, S., Ellemers, N., Barreto, M., & Leach, C.W. (2010). Strategie (individuali vs. collettive) di gestione dell’identità sociale: Il ruolo delle norme di gruppo e del profitto personale. Psicologia Sociale, 3, 385-399.
- Leach, C.W., Minescu, A., Poppe, E., & Hagendoorn, L. (2008). Generality and specificity in stereotypes of out-group power and benevolence: Views of Chechens and Jews in the Russian Federation. European Journal of Social Psychology, 38, 1165-1174.
- Ellemers, N., Pagliaro. S., Barreto, M., & Leach, C.W. (2008). Is it better to be moral than smart? The effects of morality and competence norms on the decision to work at group status improvement. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 95, 1397-1410.
- Leach, C.W., Ellemers, N., & Barreto, M. (2007). Group virtue: The importance of morality (vs. competence and sociability) in the positive evaluation of in-groups. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 93, 234-249.